Cinnamon TealSpatula cyanoptera
- ORDER: Anseriformes
- FAMILY: Anatidae
A small brightly colored duck, the Cinnamon Teal is found in ponds throughout the American West.More ID Info
- Cerceta Colorada (Spanish)
- Sarcelle cannelle (French)
- Cool Facts
- The Cinnamon Teal is the only duck with separate breeding populations in North America and South America.
- Unlike most North American dabbling ducks, the Cinnamon Teal rarely breeds in the midcontinent prairie-parkland region.
- The female Cinnamon Teal often places her nest below matted, dead stems of vegetation so it is completely concealed on all sides and from above. She approaches the nest through tunnels in the vegetation.
- The oldest recorded Cinnamon Teal was a female and at least 10 years, 6 months old when she was shot in California in 2010. She had been banded in the same state in 2001.