In flight, note dark rump, long, pointed wings, and heavy chest.© Michael Todd | Macaulay LibraryAlaska, September 17, 2013
- Medium-sized to large shorebird.
- Legs moderately long.
- Neck short.
- Bill short.
- Head large and rounded.
- Golden and black speckled back.
- In breeding plumage, black from face to lower belly.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile similar to winter adult, but with light barring on chest, sides, and flanks, and more distinct yellow edges and spots on feathers of crown, back, and wings.
Relative Sizebetween robin and crow
- Both Sexes
- Length: 9.1-10.2 in (23-26 cm)
- Weight: 3.6-3.8 oz (102-108 g)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.