Living Bird Magazine
Nape color varies across its range from yellow-orange in the north, to red in Yucatán, to orange from Chiapas, Mexico, to Honduras. The lower belly color varies across the range; birds in the Yucatán have red lower bellies.© Ian Davies | Macaulay LibraryQuintana Roo, February 04, 2014
- Medium- to large-sized woodpecker.
- Back barred black-and-white.
- Orange-yellow back of neck.
- White rump.
- Male with red cap.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile similar to adult, but duller, with fine streaking on crown and breast, and only faint color on nape and nasal tufts. Eyes brown.
Relative Sizebetween robin and crow
- Both Sexes
- Length: 8.7-10.2 in (22-26 cm)
- Weight: 2.6-3.5 oz (73-99 g)
- Wingspan: 16.5-17.3 in (42-44 cm)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.