Living Bird Magazine
Breeds in alpine areas, usually near snowfields, glaciers, talus, rockpiles, and cliffs.© Tim Lenz | Macaulay LibraryBritish Columbia, May 16, 2011
- Medium-sized finch.
- Dark brown overall.
- Gray cheek patches wrapping around back of head.
- Black forehead.
- Pink on belly, rump, and in wings.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile similar to adult female, but duller, and lacking gray crown, black forehead, and pink on underparts.
Relative Sizesparrow-sized or smaller
- Both Sexes
- Length: 5.5-8.3 in (14-21 cm)
- Weight: 0.8-2.1 oz (22-60 g)
- Wingspan: 13.0 in (33 cm)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.