Living Bird Magazine
- Stocky, medium-sized, short-legged shorebird.
- Short, dark bill fairly thick with a slight upturn to the lower mandible.
- Legs usually dark, but occasionally dark red or pinkish.
- Bold wing pattern visible in flight, produced by white feathers at the base of the leading edge of the wing, a white wing stripe, and a white lower back.
- White tail with black terminal band.
Immature DescriptionResembles winter adult, but slightly more brownish overall with buffy fringes on feathers of body and tail tipped with brown rather than white.
- Both Sexes
- Length: 8.7-9.8 in (22-25 cm)
- Weight: 3.5-6.0 oz (100-170 g)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.