Compare with Similar Species
Click on an image to compare
- Medium-sized seabird; gull-sized.
- Shaped like a gull, glides like a shearwater.
- Moderately long, rounded wings.
- Short, stout, pale bill.
- Short, rounded tail.
- Small dark patch in front of eye.
- Morphs vary from white to dark gray.
- Lighter morph whitish or light-gray on back and upper wings, with white head and neck.
- Darker morph uniformly gray.
Immature DescriptionSimilar to adult.
- Both Sexes
- Length: 15.3-19.7 in (39-50 cm)
- Weight: 15.9-35.3 oz (450-1000 g)
- Wingspan: 39.4-44.1 in (100-112 cm)