Nests in colonies on steep, cliff ledges, slopes, and rocky outcrops. Constantly makes guttural calls at the colony.© Timothy Barksdale | Macaulay LibraryNewfoundland and Labrador, June 03, 1997
Forages and nests in large groups. Heavy-bodied seabird that flies with rapid wingbeats.© Brian Sullivan | Macaulay LibraryNewfoundland and Labrador, May 30, 2010
- Medium-sized waterbird.
- Black back and head, white underside.
- Rather long, slender, pointed bill.
- Face and throat white in nonbreeding plumage.
Immature DescriptionSimilar to nonbreeding adult.
- Both Sexes
- Length: 15.0-16.9 in (38-43 cm)
- Weight: 28.2-39.7 oz (800-1125 g)
- Wingspan: 25.2-27.9 in (64-71 cm)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.