Living Bird Magazine
Nonbreeding birds have a white throat and cheek that extends up behind the eye.© Ryan Schain | Macaulay LibraryMassachusetts, December 16, 2011
- Medium-sized waterbird.
- Black back and head, white underside.
- Stout, deep, round-tipped bill.
- Throat white in nonbreeding plumage, with some white on face.
Immature DescriptionSimilar to nonbreeding adult, but with shorter, shallower bill without white lines or grooves.
- Both Sexes
- Length: 16.9 in (43 cm)
- Weight: 17.8-31.4 oz (505-890 g)
- Wingspan: 24.8-26.8 in (63-68 cm)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.