New York Birders Conference
September 22, 2023 – September 24, 2023
Gather with birders and birding leaders from across the Empire State—and birding friends from nearby Connecticut and northern New Jersey—for a weekend celebrating the birds and birders of New York.
This annual meeting of the New York State Ornithological Association (NYSOA) will include a wealth of birding activities—field trips, special speakers, research updates, and vendors—as well as a gathering of delegates from over 40 bird clubs and Audubon chapters affiliated with NYSOA.
The 2023 New York Birders Conference / NYSOA Annual Meeting is being hosted by Saw Mill River Audubon.
2023 Conference Highlights
- Saturday night banquet speaker will be David Allen Sibley, renowned bird artist and field guide author.
- Tom Stephenson, co-author of the Warbler Guide will be our workshop keynote presenter on Saturday afternoon.
- Birding field trips on Saturday and Sunday mornings will visit shoreline locations along the Hudson River and Long Island Sound, including NYS Important Bird Areas and key regional hotspots, with good timing for the fall migration of neotropical migrants, shorebirds and raptors.
- Saturday afternoon workshop topics will include birding and bird photography skills, advocacy and arts.
- Saturday afternoon paper/poster sessions will present research topics in ornithology. (Invitation here for grad, undergrad and post-grad presenters, with optional coverage of some conference costs.)
- Saturday late afternoon delegates meeting for the New York State Ornithological Association will include representatives from bird clubs and Audubon chapters across New York state.
- Don’t miss a chance to compete for fame and glory in our Friday night Birding Quiz, designed and administered by the NYS Young Birders Club.
- An expanded vendor area with nature and birding merchandise will include birding gear, books, crafts, gifts, with a silent auction featuring donated vendor items and gifts. (Vendor invitation here.)
- Friday night activities at Croton Point Park will include the above birding quiz competition for adults and all ages led by the NYS Young Birders Club PLUS a birding-themed campfire and an extra-special owl prowl.
- CONFERENCE REGISTRATION WILL OPEN April 1, 2023. (Note: please do not reserve hotel rooms before this date. The conference rate will not be available until April 1.)