A Baker’s Dozen of Birdy Gift Ideas for the 2010 Holiday Season
December 8, 2010
This article is from 2010, but you can check out the latest gifts here.
Birding is such a simple pleasure. The bird watchers on your list probably already have umpteen field guides and a good set of binoculars—and you don’t necessarily want to venture into the four-digit price tag of a good spotting scope.
But don’t lose hope! Some gifts not only enhance the enjoyment of birds—they give back to the birds as well. Here are some holiday suggestions that will help support the Cornell Lab’s mission of research, education, and conservation of birds—while bringing delight to the bird watcher that’s near to your heart.
1. Cornell Lab Membership A “green” gift that supports our mission. As part of your gift, your loved one will receive the Cornell Lab’s Living Bird magazine and BirdScope newsletter. $35
2. The Birds of North America Online Definitive resource about all of North America’s breeding birds, plus photos and sounds. It’s a gift of knowledge and available as a $5 “stocking stuffer” (30-day subscription) or $42 for a whole year.
3. Songbirds Weekly Planner This 2011 planner indulges bird watchers all year long with bird illustrations and fascinating information.
4. Singing Bird Books Bird information plus sounds at the touch of a button. Backyard Bird Songs, BirdScapes, Bird Songs Bible, and more.
5. Audio Guides Birding by ear is a revelation. Choose a guide to favorite regions or species.
6. BirdsEye App See more birds with the world’s only app that tells you where your target species are. $1.99 for BirdsEye Lite, $19.99 for it all.
7. Bird-Friendly Coffee Enjoy delicious coffee knowing it was grown in a way that helps migratory songbirds on their wintering grounds.
8. Really Wild Cards Delight someone with these beautiful cards that play authentic bird sounds when you open them up. $7.99
9. Plush Birds that Sing These irresistible birds sing when you squeeze them. Choose a favorite species for a fun stocking stuffer. $7.99
10. The Bird Watching Answer Book Funny, fascinating, and helpful—this entertaining book answers many of the questions that we get from bird watchers each year. $14.95
11. Celebrate Urban Birds Calendar Features photos and artwork from our seasonal challenges. More than 100 funny, sweet, unusual, and gorgeous images. $15
12. Online Bird Behavior Course This very special gift enables your loved one to gain new insights and enjoyment through the Cornell Lab’s five-week online interactive course, “Courtship and Rivalry in Birds.” Next session begins January 19, 2011. $295 ($255 for Lab members. For member discount, enroll by phone at 866-326-7635).
13. Sound Recording Workshop Students spend a week learning professional recording techniques. Takes place June 11-18, 2011, at San Francisco State University’s Sierra Nevada Field Campus in the spectacular Tahoe National Forest. $975
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.