- Large waterbird, small loon.
- Thin bill, usually tilted slightly upward.
- Long body slopes to rear.
- Sits low on water.
- Relatively slim proportions overall.
- Dives under water.
- Dark gray with a red throat in summer.
- Pale gray and white in winter.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile and first-winter Red-throated Loons have dull blackish-gray upperparts with white feather edges. Front of neck is mottled, not clear white as on adult. Dark of top of head may extend to include the eyes.
Relative Sizebetween crow and goose
- Both Sexes
- Length: 20.9-27.2 in (53-69 cm)
- Weight: 35.3-95.2 oz (1000-2700 g)
- Wingspan: 39.4-47.2 in (100-120 cm)