Small, flat-headed sparrow with a small bill and a buffy wash on the face and breast. The eyeline is dark and wider toward the back of the head. The eyebrow is brighter than the rest of the face.
Juveniles have similar features as adults, but with less distinct markings.
Song is a fine, hissing grasshopper-like buzz, starting and ending with a faint "tik."
Small, flat-headed sparrow with a small bill. Overall rather buffy with a gray cheek patch and a dark eyeline that gets wider toward the back of the head.
Juveniles look like adults, but tend to be buffier overall with less distinct markings.
- Small, chunky sparrow.
- Buffy orange face and chest.
- Black streaks on sides and flanks, and occasionally across chest.
- White crown stripe.
- Pinkish brown nape streaked with chestnut.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile similar to adult, but buffier and with less distinct markings.
Relative Sizesparrow-sized or smaller
- Both Sexes
- Length: 4.7-5.1 in (12-13 cm)
- Weight: 0.4-0.6 oz (12-16.3 g)
- Wingspan: 6.3-7.1 in (16-18 cm)
Don't miss a thing! Join our email list
The Cornell Lab will send you updates about birds, birding, and opportunities to help bird conservation.