- Small gull.
- Back ashy gray.
- Underparts white.
- Wingtips black with white tips and a white band.
- Entire head black in breeding season.
Immature DescriptionJuvenile: White underneath, with dusky wash on sides of neck and across breast. Crown, ear region, and nape dark dusky gray. Forehead, chin, and throat white. White crescents above and below eyes. Back and wings dusky brownish gray. Tail pale gray with black subterminal band, not including white outer feathers.
First winter (Basic I) Plumage: Back gray, but wings brownish. Head pale with dark half-hood including eyes. Eye crescents thicker, and usually joining at rear. Nape whitish. Underside white. Tail white at base with broad blackish subterminal band not including white outer tail feathers.
First summer (Alternate I) Plumage: Like adult winter.
- Both Sexes
- Length: 12.6-14.2 in (32-36 cm)
- Weight: 7.8-11.8 oz (220-335 g)
- Wingspan: 33.5-37.4 in (85-95 cm)